Sunday, January 9, 2011

"Seperation is an Illusion"

Hey all,

I've been wanting to start a blog for a long time. I just never felt I had a direct enough message, or a unique way of sharing it. HOWEVER. In my explorations of thought this quiet winter night, it occurred to me that I always knew what my blog would be about. Since I started my first internship in the jungle that is NYC two years ago I have grown to become familiar with the work life of the city. I quickly realized that in order to survive the daily push-and-shove, I would have to look past the miserable gray business suits.

A word about the walking suits. If you ever watch them, and I mean truly watch them, you will notice that they all walk in one of two ways. Dire urgency, or complete separation from the present...a sort of...disdain. These office drones are stalked by the shadow of their lost dreams (who are so kind as to batter the poor office drones on the head as a constant, painful reminder of what they gave up to fulfill the status quo. Or perhaps they simply latch themselves onto the drones feet weighing them down with regret, and the horrible sensation of feeling trapped.)

Anywho, determined to not become a "drone" I decided to look for LOVE in the crowded streets of New York City. To avoid confusion, allow me to define my use of "Love" in this blog. I am not, to my mothers dismay, talking about a mission to find my future Jewish Doctor of a Husband. But rather, to find love as displayed in humanity. Examples of Human Love as demonstrated in acts kindness, compassion, empathy and joy. Maybe someone admiring a baby in a stroller, friends meeting up in Penn Station, strangers meeting and falling head over heels for each other on the subway (true story, and probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen). Even something as simple as holding the elevator for someone. To get the movie quote over with: *Cue Hugh Grant: "Love is actually all around." (There, I've said it! First and last, I promise!) But really, folks. It is. We just have to open our eyes.

Humanity is flawed by separation, and we tend to forget that we are interconnected. And that connection is not just shared between fellow human beings. We are connected: Man connected to Man, connected to Nature, to Creature, and to Earth.

So, I set myself on a mission to find examples of love, as demonstrated by the residents of NYC. Last summer, I thought about carrying a camera around, and photographing what I would find. But I never did it. I left the idea simmering in my mind, waiting for the right moment to flower. And that brings me to tonight. I was reading an article on why American's suck at New Years Resolutions. (it's true. And this isn't even about resolutions to me. But seriously, folks! Where has our ambition gone!!!?? Wake up, you only have one life to live! Lazy just isn't an excuse. Neither is fear. Don't let it become one. Laziness combined with fear can be lethal.) So, a link from the resolution article led me to a list of resolutions. One of which was about photographing daily life. Which stirred an idea that I once had....

SO. The mission of this blog is to demonstrate that amidst the horrors inflicted upon humanity BY humanity, love still exists. I will post a photograph demonstrating love, empathy and kindness for 365 days. And I hope that the images I post add up to show that if we can learn to cease this ridiculous separation of mankind, and act with love every day of our lives...that a more beautiful world is possible.

This isn't about political affiliation. This isn't about religion. This is simply about being a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

html