Monday, January 24, 2011

H.O.P.E.

First, I want to apologize. I have been having some computer issues which resulted in a dead laptop this weekend, making it very difficult to get some free time on the family computer to write. I'll be back on track this week, and I'm hoping to bring some extra photos to the table each day for you all to make up for the past few days. Tonight however, I want to share something special. This was passed on to me by my neighbor from sophomore year (thank you, Allison!).
Now, I know this is not a photograph, however it is a very touching project and photos are a part of it.
I hope that I do this story justice, I am summarizing it here to introduce you to it. I suggest checking out the website though to read this touching story.
Eleven/Eleven is a project being done by a young woman who lost her mother to cancer. Her goal is to fold 1000 paper cranes, as a message of hope. Paper Cranes are a symbol of good health according to Ancient Japanese Legend, so when her mother was sick, her sister folded 1000 cranes. The cranes became symbolic of not just good health, but of the love and hope they provided. They also served as a bonding experience for the sisters and their mother.
Now, her goal is to personlly fold 1000 paper cranes as a response to requests for hope. It's like an answer to your prayers taking form as a paper crane. She will send you the crane and as a response you take a photograph of where the crane is living, and post it to her website. To me, this is a true act of love. It is an act which will connect people and thread humanity together while weaving the great web of hope. We all have hope and it exists in many different forms. Let us recognize that we are not so different. We share a lot more than we realize. I hope for the more beautiful world we all know is possible. I hope for humanity connected. I hope for the well being of my friends and family. I hope for a world that is cancer-free. I hope for many many things. What do you hope for? Place yourself on the thread of humanity by recognizing your own hopes, and then recognizing that the person sitting across from you on the subway might be hoping for the exact same thing. Separation is an illusion. If they are not hoping for the same, isn't it enough to know that they are hoping for something?
Connect yourself to humanity, and to this cause. Let us spin that great web of hope together. In doing so, you will not only provide this young woman hope but she will provide you with a hope as well. A hope for whatever it is that you hope for.
We are one human race, all existing in the same space. Share the hope, share the love.
H.O.P.E.
--Thank you to Allison Berger for sending the link for this project my way. And Thank you to Kaleena, for the inspiration and for sharing hope. Your story and this project truly touched my heart, as I'm sure it has to countless others. Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

html