Monday, January 10, 2011

Hey vibes man, hey jazz man...play me your seranade.
























Share your joy.

I took this as I was rushing to make my 9:10 train home tonight from work. I always admire the Penn Station Musicians, even if they are the hopefuls performing unfortunate renditions of arias, or worse (better?) ...karaoke versions from "The Best of Diana Ross." It takes a lot of courage to step up and put yourself out there like that.

This man, however, happened to be remarkably talented. As I approached this area of Penn Station (it's right by the entrance to the 1 train) I noticed the crowd before I heard the music...and then the music hit me, and I stopped in my tracks. I hear this gorgeous saxophone, wailing to the tune of a mans sorrows and joys. Everything this man has ever felt was put into this solo. A few minutes later, I came out of my music induced trance, looked around and saw all of the others who had stopped to listen. In that moment, I saw and felt so much love. The listeners were drawn to him and his song...mesmerized by his musical story, which everyone seemed to understand and relate to. In that moment, nobody was running to catch trains. Travelers paused in their journey. Nobody was fighting. Nobody was even talking. Everybody was just....listening. Everybody understood one another.

It made me realize that music is the only language that is truly universal. Perhaps it is through music that we can forget about our separation, and begin to find a common ground on which to unite.

2 comments:

  1. Great story Ariela. Could probably go even further and say art in general is a universal language because it's a person's way of expressing feelings or emotion which can be universally interpreted. And beyond art, math is also quite universal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jason for pointing that out! How I could have overlooked art in general as a universal language is beyond me. You're quite right...it is a form of expression, and any of the many forms of art can hold a person's entire story, moving people and connecting them on so many levels. Thanks for the feedback! I truly appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete

html