Saturday, February 16, 2013

THON

Greetings friends! Here I am, in Happy Valley, PA. It's the third weekend of February, and thousands of Penn State students are taking a stand against pediatric cancer.

It's the annual Penn State IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon, more lovingly known as simply: THON. THON is the world's largest student run philanthropy--a year long fundraising effort, that culminates in a 46 hour dance marathon. Last year, we raised $10.6 million for the kids. Money raised goes to the Four Diamonds Fund, which covers everything that insurance doesn't. It's a pretty remarkable organization, and they are truly making a difference in the efforts to CURE pediatric cancer.

I fell in love with THON in 2007. I was on GenePool's Rules and Regs committee, and was so awestruck by what was going on in the Bryce Jordan Center that even when I had a few hours off, I stayed to watch. For me, THON became more than a fundraising effort. It became than the 46 hours. It became a way of life. THON came to me months after my Grandpa's sudden passing. It pulled the rug from under my feet, and shattered my world. I was hurting, confused, and depressed. There was a veil over my eyes, and I couldn't see the beauty that surrounded me. When I walked into the BJC that weekend in February 2007, everything came into focus. When I witnessed the courage, wisdom, honesty and strength of those little superheroes...those amazing kids....I found my courage, my wisdom, my honesty and my strength. The kids inspired me to overcome what I was going through, and in that way...I guess you could say that THON saved me, too. I live my life by the four diamonds.


Courage. Honesty. Wisdom. Strength.

As I walked back to my dorm after THON that year, I made a promise to myself that whatever I decided to do with my life, it would involve giving back to my superheroes. It would involve coming to THON, and doing something For The Kids.

Seven years later, I am just as in love with THON as I was in 2007. It's now my third THON as an alum, and three years since I danced. This year, I've returned to Happy Valley as a best-selling children's author. It feels surreal to type, and say. But my debut Children's Book, "THE GRAY DAYS" has been as high as #7 on the Amazon Best Seller list for Children's Books. This afternoon, I'll be doing a reading of my book for the kids, at Webster's (4pm). A portion of proceeds from all books purchased at the event, and online this weekend will be donated to THON. I feel so blessed that I am able to fulfill my promise, and continue giving back to the Four Diamond Kids in my professional life. I hope that I can continue to do so, in the years to come.

For The Kids, forever and always.
Ariela

No comments:

Post a Comment

html